Thursday, May 28, 2009

Domestic Goddess

Artist book page, For Sadie Jane by Gayle Pritchard

I seem to be in the third week of domestic duties, and have one more to accomplish before June ends. It is so hard sometimes to escape life's responsibilities and just do what I want (or need) to do on any given day.

I don't really want to escape life, of course. I love entertaining, hanging out with friends, being with my kids. I do not love cleaning the house, grocery shopping, filing insurance claims, or keeping track of bills.

I have had more energy in the past month than I have had for a long time. This is fortunate, because my head is spinning with ideas, and I am able to do a little bit of artwork most days, even when other responsiblities interfere. As I mentioned in my last post, however, such times are trying, and definitely call for juggling finesse.

In the meantime, I am keeping busy in my journal any chance I get, jotting down ideas so I don't forget them, sketching pictures of things that occur to me, and working through solutions to problems. I would rather be doing more, but eagerly await the quiet days in my studio and my office that are sure to come my way soon.

6 comments:

  1. Love the piece! It pretty aptly describes all I have to do that I do not WANT to do! My month seems to be ending with too much unaccomplished and the whole of next month full of PT appts. and Dr. Visits.
    I just want to hole up in my studio and let everything else ROT! That is sooooo immature, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's immature at all, at least, I hope not, since that is exactly how I feel! I love this piece, too. I started it as an exercise for a class I was teaching in Mexico. It's one page of a canvas accordian fold book that is hand bound with painted skewers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I look at this piece I think of how hard women have always had to work yet they found time to sew and make beautiful things, cook delicious special food and plant glorious flower displays. I especially like the fact that the figure is floating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Terry. Floating, indeed! I am floating!! If you click on the picture, you can see and read the details of the old newspaper text underneath the collage, as well. This piece, for Sadie Jane, started when I found a newspaper photograph of her, with the byline and caption still attached, explaining she was a Beauty Queen. I made the book to explore how her life might have turned out after that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly understand the circle of life energies and yes I love all of them...ceremonies...rituals give our woman's soul new life. I love you collage works... it is a simple sometimes exercise that helps us capture our inspiration in a moment in time. My godchild arrives tomorrow and we are taking a fused glass class together and I will help her address her wedding invites and get them into the mail. I can close my eyes and remember holding her in the front porch swing on her christening day. Imagine Peace, Mary Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful thought, Mary Helen. I love the image of closing your eyes and remembering. It all goes way too quickly.
    I also love that the sense of what being a woman is continues to grow and evolve as each year passes. The rituals, yes, the rituals become part of our beings, but I find the sense of understanding and depth of being has become richer and richer. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete