Saturday, July 14, 2012

No Fear of Flying


As mentioned previously, I have been doing physical therapy on my hands for months now. So, what to do when one can't work a normal schedule? Well, my solution has been to reorganize both of my work spaces here in the house. My friend Ginny came over to have a look, and to give me her expert suggestions. The "blue" room, my office, has to accomodate my second laptop, a scanner, a pull-out futon for a guest bed, as well as inventory, collage papers and cardstock. I have also rearranged the blue room glass-topped desks to make room for my yudu screenprinter. I'll post pix when everything is clean and put away!


 In my last post, I showed you a silk rubbing from Mexico I had found while reorganizing my space. Here is another unfinished piece I found, a class sample of a black and white photo transfer on silk. I decided to make it into a collage, but I needed to paint it first, so that the bright white of the silk would blend in more with the cyanotype-printed fabric I wanted to use with it.
I used Jacquard paint with a watery brush to paint the transfer on silk.

The painted silk in the composition. I used cyanotype prints made
years ago, and created my collage from the scrapbag. The
wings are hand appliqued.
 
Here is a detail of the top of the composition, in progress.


2 comments:

  1. I see you are working with your hands.... in this time of pain and sadness you are working through color and textures. I am wishing you Peace sweet friend and it is good to see your works again ...I am preparing a eulogy for a sudden death of a dear 40 year old artist...she was exhibiting with me in January 2013. I am listening to whispers 24 hours a day... Love , Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your timing is impeccable, as always, dear one. Thanks for the kind words. Sorry to hear of your friend's loss. I have been trying to post a new blog post all day long on that very subject. Initially, I thought that is what you had responded to. Be well, and I hope you find peace.

    ReplyDelete