Thursday, September 29, 2011

Upcycling with Paint: New Fabric

As I mentioned in my last post, I was experimenting with various paints from my stash to re-do some fabric that was slightly faded.
The fabric is a stretch cotton, so it took the paint a bit differently than, say, silk or plain cotton.

Since I want to use the remaining skirt and spaghetti strap ties that I cut off this dress, I upcycled the fabric with a watercolor effect. I dampened the fabric in my washer, then placed one of my painting boards underneath the circle of the skirt. Then, I simply painted away, adding my Jacquard Dyna-Flow blue paint directly from the jar to the black areas, which darkened them up nicely, and wetting my brush a bit to spread the paint in the formerly white areas.  I love how it came out, and can't wait to create an upcycled piece with it!

A final note: Mary Helen, I have been trying for days to leave a reply to your comment, and have been unsuccessful. Blogger must be having some issues if I can't even comment on my own blog! Anyway, thanks for taking the time to have a look.

6 comments:

  1. This fabric looks so beautiful with the painted blue. It almost looks tie dyed! How cool that you painted it by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure what is going on...I will try to clear this situation up. I love the blues!!!! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great results--the blue is beautiful. I also liked your discharge dyed t-shirts--very interesting about the bleach pen. What they won't invent!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haley, having it look dyed by using paint was my goal. That way, I don't have to mix up the dye: ) I love dyeing fabric, but usually do it with a friend who has the dye.
    Mary Helen, I don't know why it's happening, either, so will have to explore my settings. I love the blues, too. Last night, I string-tied a faded cotton spandex cardigan...we'll see how it turns out.
    Thanks for having a look, MulticoloredPieces. I just dug out a new fabric yesterday that matches perfectly with it for pairing. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry, wish I had your dyeing skills, but at least this works quickly and easily for me. Now, to get some time to sew it up!

    ReplyDelete