Thursday, April 16, 2009

When the Well Overflows

One of my TagTalk cards

This past week has been an absolute blur, and the pace doesn't look like it's going to let up any time soon. Even when a death occurs, as it did in our family circle last week, the world keeps spinning around and around.

Busy is good. I have always said that to myself, often under my breath. But sometimes I get worn out, tired to the bone, burned-out. That is not the case this week.

Maybe it's the arrival of Spring, or the accompanying longer days, but I feel more energetic than I have in many months. This week I worked on my new manuscript, (a biography of artist Susan Shie which is almost done...watch for details about the release date), wrote on this blog, wrote a guest blog, (check out the Subversive Stitchers link to read it), opened my etsy store, did some work in my studio, watched my grandson for two days, kept up with my email, put together new website updates for my web developer (Aaron, you're a gem!), and probably a whole pile of other things I can't remember right now.

I don't know about you, but I need to grab the momentum when it grabs me. Although I am very disciplined about my work, sometimes it feels more like "work" and less like a creative release. There are dry times for every artist, and those are the times when the well needs to be filled and renewed. Such times call for quiet reflection, long walks, catching up on unread books, and looking outward for inspiration.

Tonight, I am tired, but still exhilarated. It will be one of those nights when my mind will not rest, and I will have to make mental notes on the ideas for finished artwork that dance in my head. I'm grabbing the gold ring before my spot on the merry-go-round passes by. There will be plenty of time to rest later.

3 comments:

  1. I go through round of great productivity, and the desire for such is usually when there are a thousand other things I am trying to balance. I must say, I am DEEPLY impressed with your weeks accomplishments and would kneel before you except I couldn't get back up.... ;)
    The susan Shie book grabs my attention; I have always admired and loved her work though never had the chance to meet her. She is a most unique voice in a hum-drum world. her work is uncopyable---which is wonderful. And she has remained true to her vision.
    I envy you, a bit, all the activity but *HOO-RAH* you on too! If I can't be doing in now, then good for you!
    And a plug for the Tag Talk cards---bought one--they're GREAT. Everyone needs one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayle, I can't get enough of these whimsical Tag Talk cards. What a clever idea. Wishing you success with them.
    Need a walk...walk over here. You are always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would really like to figure out a way to let people order them directly from my website with a customized message, or maybe as an e-card?

    ReplyDelete